Web Application Development
Web Applications are dynamic web sites combined with server side programming which provide functionalities such as interacting with users, connecting to back-end databases, and generating results to browsers.
Examples of Web Applications are Online Banking, Social Networking, Online Reservations, eCommerce / Shopping Cart Applications, Interactive Games, Online Training, Online Polls, Blogs, Online Forums, Content Management Systems, etc..
Next generation Web Applications to help you sail smooth through challenging and constantly-evolving technological changes.
- Tone-down IT complexity, facilitate seamless work flow and synchronize business operations
- In-depth analysis and understanding of client's requirements
- Exclusive business-enhancing features with cross-platform compatibility
- Web applications that can keep you on the upbeat of the IT rhythm by hampering down-times and accelerating productivity
Why Choose NolimIT Logic?
- Expertise in the latest web application development solutions and technology
- Faster time to market & time to service record
- Scalable infrastructure support for your business requirements
- Flexible engagement models – fixed cost, full-time hiring, part-time hiring, developer by the hour
- Cost leadership & superior ROI for your IT initiatives
- In Short – “Your trusted web based application development company”
Our Web Application Development Services Includes :
- Custom Web Application Development Services – From Single Page Applications (SPAs), basic websites to complex customized web solutions, our web application design and development is tailor-made for every niche.
- Digital Commerce and Enterprise eCommerce Applications – Secure and scalable eCommerce solutions that harness the power of leading platforms like Magento, BigCommerce, Zen Cart, Drupal etc. to build comprehensive and powerful eCommerce websites. Our expertise in advanced technology and team of eCommerce experts help businesses manage every facet of online sales from product catalogs, bespoke back-end order fulfilment process, inventory management, logistics integration, payment integration, sales and marketing.
- Cross-Platform Application Development – Powerful cross-platform apps that work across a range of operating systems and devices, to increase the reach and engagement of your business apps.
- Web and Enterprise Portal Development – Customized web-based enterprise portals to enhance internal efficiency and enabling ease of sharing and group communication with real-time information exchange. We have developed several custom B2C and B2B portals, Enterprise Information Systems, Intranets and Media portals etc.
- Website Revamp and Application Maintenance – Redesign your website and web apps to give it a brand new avatar with a modern and sophisticated interface. We can also help to maintain and optimize your applications to ensure the highest level of availability and productivity.
Technologies We Use :
There are two main categories of coding, scripting and programming for creating Web Applications:
I. Client Side Scripting / Coding - Client Side Scripting is the type of code that is executed or interpreted by browsers.
Client Side Scripting is generally viewable by any visitor to a site (from the view menu click on "View Source" to view the source code).
Below are some common Client Side Scripting technologies:
- HTML (HyperText Markup Language)
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
II. Server Side Scripting / Coding - Server Side Scripting is the type of code that is executed or interpreted by the web server.
Server Side Scripting is not viewable or accessible by any visitor or general public.
Below are the common Server Side Scripting technologies:
- JAVA based applications including Framework based Coding and combining with database.
- PHP (very common Server Side Scripting language - Linux / Unix based Open Source - free redistribution, usually combines with MySQL database)
- Zend Framework (PHP's Object Oriented Web Application Framework)
- ASP (Microsoft Web Server (IIS) Scripting language)
- ASP.NET (Microsoft's Web Application Framework - successor of ASP)
Program libraries are a collection of commonly used functions, classes or subroutines which provide ease of development and maintanance by allowing developers to easily add or edit functionalities to a frameworked or modular type application.
Web Application Frameworks
Web Application Frameworks are sets of program libraries, components and tools organized in an architecture system allowing developers to build and maintain complex web application projects using a fast and efficient approach.
Web Application Frameworks are designed to streamline programming and promote code reuse by setting forth folder organization and structure, documentation, guidelines and libraries (reusable codes for common functions and classes).
Web Application Frameworks - Benefits and Advantages
- Program actions and logic are separated from the HTML, CSS and design files. This helps designers (without any programming experience) to be able to edit the interface and make design changes without help from a programmer.
- Builds are based on the module, libraries and tools, allowing programmers to easily share libraries and implement complex functionalities and features in a fast and efficient manner.
- The structure helps produce best practice coding with consistent logic and coding standards, and provides other developers the ability to become familiar with the code in a short time.
- Effective Digital Communication
- Branding and Promotion
- Reaching Stakeholders and Influencers
- Talent Acquisition and Employee Engagement
- Enhanced Sales and Marketing
- CMS customization
- Multi-platform and multi-channel access
Coding Guidelines, Standards & Convention
Coding guidelines are sets of rules and standards used in programming a web application project. These rules and standards apply to coding logic, folder structure and names, file names, file organization, formatting and indentation, statements, classes and functions, and naming conventions. These rules also enforce writing clear comments and provide documentation.
Important benefits of using Coding Guidelines
Creates the best environment for multiple programmers to work on the same project
Provides ease of maintainability and version management
Delivers better readability and understanding of the source code
Insures that other developers can understand and become familiar with the code in a short time
Web Applications Lifecycle Model
Web Application Lifecycle is the process of developing a web application and involvement of the multiple teams that are engaged in the development process. Each organization may set forth its own unique style of operating.
Some companies follow a certain standard model such as SDLC (System Development Life Cycle) or Agile Software Development Model.
SDLC is the traditional process of developing software or web applications by including research to identify and define the application requirements, information analysis, architectural design and specifications blueprint, team involvement, programming, testing and bug fixing, system testing, implementation and maintenance.
Agile Software / Web Application Development is the iterative development process and development process practices that focus on collaboration of people involved and provide a better procedure to allow revisions and evolution of web application requirements. Agile methodology includes research, analysis, project management, design, programming, implementation, frequent testing, adaptation and maintenance.
Web Application Development Process
Web Application Development Process organizes a practical procedure and approach in application development.
The following list of procedures and suggested documents provide a good outline for a Web Application Lifecycle and Process:
- Roadmap Document: Defining Web Application, Purpose, Goals and Direction
- Researching and Defining Audience Scope and Security Documents
- Creating Functional Specifications or Feature Summary Document
- Team Collaboration and Project Management Document
- Technology Selection, Technical Specifications, Illustrative Diagram of Web Application Architecture and Structure, Development Methodology, Versions Control, Backups, Upgrades, Expansion and Growth Planning Document, Server Hardware / Software Selection
- Third Party Vendors Analysis and Selection (Merchant Account and Payment Gateway, SSL Certificate, Managed Server / Colocated Server Provider, Fulfillment Centers, Website Visitor Analytics Software, Third Party Checkout Systems, etc.)
- Application Visual Guide, Design Layout, Interface Design, Wire Framing
- Database Structure Design and Web Application Development
- Testing: Quality Assurance, Multiple Browser Compatibility, Security, Performance - Load and Stress Testing, Usability
Web Application Testing
Testing is an important part of the Web Application Development process. On occasion, testing would consume more manpower and time than development itself.
Below are some of the most common testing needed for any web application development process:
- Quality Assurance and Bug Testing
- Multiple Browser Compatibility
- Application Security
- Performance - Load and Stress Testing
Trends and Popularity
The demands for companies to build Web Applications are growing substantially.
If planned and built correctly, web applications can:
- Reach and service millions of consumers and businesses
- Generate substantial, multi-layer / multi-category income from consumers, businesses and advertisers
- Easily build business goodwill and assets based on audience reach, popularity, technology and potential growth
Below are good reasons for companies to build web applications:
- Companies want to streamline their internal departments and functions, operations, sales and project management, etc.
- Companies want to take advantage of a web based application's flexibility and versatility, by moving away from the traditional desktop application platform to the web application platform
- Companies want to gain more clients or better service their current clients by offering convenient services and solutions online
- Companies want to build new web applications to offer innovative services or solutions to online users and businesses
Today's web applications have substantial business impact on the way companies and consumers do business such as:
- There are opportunities to gain the upper hand and bypass the traditional brick and mortar companies when this type of opportunity was rarely possible or existed before the explosion of the web
- The new web created a global business environment which challenges the way in which traditional companies do business
- Companies need to reinvent and evolve in order to compete in today's trends, online business and global marketplace
- Businesses and consumers have more options and resources to research and easily compare and shop around for the best deals
- Information and resources are immense and available to everyone who seeks it
- Businesses or companies who used to profit from consulting or advice, that can now be easily acquired online are struggling, and will need to take a new business direction if they want to stay solvent.
How do We create a project detailed description?
Creating a project detailed description is similar to creating a feature list or project requirements, but with a much more well-thought-out process.
In many cases, it is a time consuming process. It entails thinking thorough all of the features that are required to build an application and also having good knowledge and experience in building applications to better select effective strategies and the best technology for the project.
For example, if your application is going to be a membership and subscription based application, you will need to thoroughly think through how you are going to charge your members. For example, are you going to provide a 30 days free trial? Are you going to have a setup fee? Are you going to have different subscription types and a free membership option? What are the details and access levels of each of the membership types?
So, you will need to write a detailed description on how you want your application membership and subscription to work.
Additionally, you will need to have good knowledge of different subscription-based payment gateway companies and how they differ when it comes to reliability, security features and cost.
The above is just one feature item that will require hours of research or possibly using services from a company like NolimIT Logic to provide you consultation, and help you with creating your project detailed description and technology selection.
How many hours will this process typically take, and how much will it cost?
The cost to develop a detailed description depends on the size of a project and how many hours of consultation that you require.
When I work with a client with a medium size web application, the client usually requires me to provide at least 10 hours of consulting at the start and planning stage of the project.
When I work on a project detailed description for a project and evaluate the project cost, I usually end up spending about 25 hours. I have years of experience working on hundreds of projects, so I’m a bit quicker with creating the project detailed description. On larger size projects, I usually spend 50+ hours on this phase.
I receive calls daily from prospective clients who are not familiar with the amount of work that goes into this phase and they often assume that this phase should be quick and complementary. Unfortunately because of the amount of hours that are required to create the project detailed description, and accurately assess and quote a project, it is not possible for any business to provide the services for this phase complementary.
In general you would decide how many hours you would require for this phase. If you are knowledgeable in this industry, then you may not need any consulting.
NolimIT Logic provides consulting and help with creating the project detailed description and you can purchase our consulting services at our hourly rate.
Please let us know if you would like to purchase prepaid consultation hours for your project.
How much does a typical web application cost?
We also created the below chart to provide you information on the average cost of a web application project, so if your budget does not fit our proposed cost, you would not need to spend additional time or money for this phase of the project.
In the application development industry, "you get what you pay for” usually holds true; some companies develop an application using inexperienced, offshore programmers, or take shortcuts in order to cut the cost, or use “out-of-the-box”, "one-size-fits-all” CMS software and try to customize it, which in the end, you may end up with buggy, unusable code that is very tedious to maintain.
The advantages of our application development is that we have experience building custom applications; we have an in-house team that has years of experience in building web applications and we have quality assurance procedures in place, in order to deliver a quality product.
MVP: Minimum Viable Product
| Cost Breakdown for Web Application Development Project (Not Mobile App)
|Discovery and Wireframing
|Public Website / Marketing
|Web Application Interface Design and HTML and CSS Production (Responsive)
|Web Application Development / Programming
|Quality Assurance and Refinements
|Deployment and Cloud
How do We guarantee that our project development is completed successfully?
There are a lot of factors that go into successfully completing a project development. Below are a few factors to consider:
How do I start out my project on a right foundation?
- Put in a lot of effort into creating and thoroughly reviewing your project’s detailed description to make sure that you have covered every feature of your application and have selected the effective strategies and right technology for your project.
- Make sure that your application is accurately quoted based on your requirements. If the cost is too good to be true, you are more likely not going to receive an application that is going to be maintainable, scalable and successful.
- Make sure that you work with an experienced design and development team that can successfully build you a quality, maintainable, scalable and secure application.
- Working with a development company that takes project management seriously is really important. Although project management is not usually discussed in evaluating and assessing a project, it is important to have an experienced project manager managing your project and to make sure that the correct information is relayed between you and your project development team. This is because designers and developers are not good project managers and communicators. They may not communicate important aspects of the project with you. They may make decisions that are not suitable for your project and you may end up with wrong features. Some companies use programmers that are also the project managers, in those cases, you are more likely not able to successfully complete your development project to your satisfaction unless the programmer happens to be a good communicator and project manager.
- Spend as much time as possible and be involved as much as you can with the development company's project manager to make sure that development continues on a correct path and is based on your project’s requirements.
If you would like to start your project on a right foundation with NolimIT Logic services, please let us know and we will contact you to start the process.